Survey How-to Guide¶
Adding a Survey to your Project¶
To create a new survey in your project:
- Navigate to the project you wish to add the survey. You can do this by selecting the appropriate project from the dropdown at the top left corner of the PHC.
- Click the Surveys tab on the left side of the screen.
- Click the Create Survey button in the top right corner of the survey screen.
Create and Edit Your Survey¶
Decide if this will be an Internal Survey. Internal surveys are not shared with or viewed by the subject. They are for internal use only. (for example, a checklist of questions a nurse may ask each patient)
Click the checkbox in the top right corner labeled Internal Survey to make this survey for Internal use only. Leave it unchecked if you wish the subject to answer the survey questions.
Note: A PHC Admin can still respond to a survey on behalf of a subject even if it is not marked as an internal survey.
Name your Survey
In the Details box, click the Edit icon . Here you can give your Survey a name and add a description. Click Save when finished.
Title your Survey Page
Click the Edit icon beside Page 1 to rename this page of your survey. (Surveys can be one or many pages. Each page can be named and each page is saved when the participant clicks Next to advance to the next page.)
Now you are ready to add your questions.
Choosing your Questions¶
Choosing the correct wording, format, placement, and content can improve the feedback you receive from participants. Click here for tips on good survey writing.
When considering your question type, keep in mind your audience and the feedback you hope to collect. Response types can vary from open-ended text comments to Matrix/rating scales.
Note: Not all response types are graphable. The easiest responses to graph in the LifeOmic Precision Health Cloud (PHC) Insights tab are Matrix, Single Textbox with numeric answer option, and Multiple Choice.
Click Create Question
Select one of the following question types from the dropdown menu:
- Text (formattable informational text only, no response)
- Single Textbox (short text response)
- Checkbox (single statement requiring a yes/no response such as "Click this box if you were a patient of Acme Medical in 2019.")
- Multiple Choice (preset list of options for responses)
Matrix (rating scale response)
Photo (allows subject to upload a photo as a response)
Lifeology (allows you to add a Lifeology course to your survey)
Note: It is good practice to use a single searchable term before your questions to later aid in the analysis of the data. (For instance, "Goal: On average, how many days a week do you exercise for 30 minutes or more?" Prefacing the question with "Goal" allows you to search "Goal" and see all questions within the survey prefaced with that term.)
Continue adding pages and questions to your survey, remembering to name your pages.
When you are finished adding your questions, Click the Publish Survey & Collect Responses tab.
It will open a dialog box asking if you wish to Publish the survey. Once you click Publish you will NOT be able to go back and edit the survey.
You can continue onto Sending your survey to participants.
Once a survey is published, you will have access to alert, notify, and schedule tools associated with that survey.
If you no longer want to use the survey (for example, when wanting to use a newer version of the survey), you can archive your survey. Click the Close and Archive Survey tab This will bring up a dialog box with the following information: Archiving a survey prevents any future responses and cancels any responses in-progress. Archived surveys can return to a published status at any time.
Once you have published a survey you can send it to your participants. You may do this by creating a shareable invite link or assigning a survey through the Subjects page. You also may send reminders to those who have not completed the surveys. A reminder may be sent as soon as 7 days from the initial invite and reminders are emailed at most once a week.
How to Send a survey invite via Survey tab:
- Click the Surveys tab on the left hand of the screen.
- On the published survey you wish to send, click the Participant icon .
- In the survey participants page that opens, you may:
- Create an Invite Link by clicking the icon at the top of the screen. Clicking this opens a dialog box with a shareable link to the survey.
- Send a Reminder regarding the survey Clicking this icon will send a reminder to subjects reminding them they have a survey to complete.
- To assign a survey from the Subjects page, see Assign Survey.
How to View Survey Response using Survey Tab¶
Click on Surveys on the left panel of your screen.
For the survey you are inquiring about, click the Participants icon (only published surveys will have data)
Here you can view the status of each participant invited to the survey:
- Not Started - The participant received survey but has not begun the survey.
- In-progress - The participant has started the survey but has not completed it.
- Completed - The participant has completed the survey in its entirety.
You can view graphs of your current survey submissions by clicking the Analysis icon within the Survey tab as shown below.
This will take you to the Analysis Page where you can see the results graphed.
Participant Side of the Survey¶
Participants invited to your survey will receive an email inviting them to take the survey.
After clicking the Signup or Login button within the email, participants will be taken to the Precision Health Cloud (PHC) login/signup page to login into the account they have created.
Note - Survey participants accessing the survey from a shared link will be taken directly to the PHC login/sign up page.
Participants will be asked to either accept or reject the survey invitation. Clicking Accept will take them to the next step in the survey process.
If a Consent form is linked to the project, participants will be presented with the Consent and asked to reject or accept the terms of it. Clicking Accept will take them to the next step in the survey process.
Note - If no consent is associated with the project, they will automatically start the survey.
Participants will complete the survey
Once they have completed the survey and have clicked Submit, they will see the status has changed to completed.