Create an Access Control Policy¶
Access Control is the ability to administer who can interact with a resource in the PHC. For information on PHC access control and the ABAC implementation, see the Access Control Overview.
Create a Policy for Access Control¶
Note: To delete a configured policy component, mouse over the component listing to reveal the Remove icon and click the icon.
This procedure requires Administration>Access privileges. To grant privileges, see Access Control.
Log into the Precision Health Cloud (PHC). If you are already in the system, you can click the PHC logo at the top center of the screen.
Click on Account Info.
On the Account Info page, click on the Access Control tab and click New Policy.
- In the Policy Name and Policy Description fields, enter a useful name and description.
- Click the Permissions icon to reveal all the menu options for the permissions component of access control.
- To allow basic data actions, such as reading or deleting, click the Data Access menu and click an action.
If you want to restrict data access by resource type, click Add Constraint next to the displayed data access permission. In the dialog box that appears:
- From the Resource Type menu, choose a type to restrict the action to that type of data. For example, if an employee group only needs to confirm that a subject has a signed consent form, click Consent.
- If you did not find your specific Resource Type on the menu, enter a custom resource type in the Enter a custom Resource Type field, such as job or DocumentReference.
- Click the User's Data switch to restrict the action to only the user's data. This option is useful for creating a limited access policy for patients and subjects.
- Click Apply.
To allow powerful admin capabilities, such as the power to create, update, and delete projects, click the Administration menu and click a permission.
- To allow unique capabilities, such as the ability to invite users, click the Other menu and click a specific permission.
- Click the Resource icon to reveal all the menu options of the resource component of access control.
- Click the Project menu to assign your policy to a project dataset. Selecting a project is the most common way to define the resource in a policy. Note: Assign a specific project to a policy or the policy applies to all current and future projects.
- To restrict the policy to a specific resource type, such as responses to a questionnaire, click the Resource Type menu and select a type. Resource type restrictions apply only to Data Access actions, such as Read Data.
- Click the User icon to reveal all of the menu options for the user component of access control.
Click the Group Membership menu to apply the policy to a specific group and select a group. A user has to be a member of the selected group for the permission to apply.
Note: If you need to create a group, complete the Groups procedure.
If you select multiple groups, a user must belong to all of the groups for a policy to apply. A best practice is to confine a policy to a single group and make multiple policies if needed.
- To confirm the saved policy, locate the policy under the Policy Name column on the Access Control page. Click the policy name to view or edit the policy details.
Edit Access Control Policy JSON Files¶
- Locate the policy under the Policy Name column on the Access Control page and click the policy name.
- Click Advanced View to open the JSON file editor.
- Mouse over the JSON text to see and use the integrated editing controls.
- Click Save after modifying the JSON text.
- To use an external code editor, click Copy/Paste to open the Copy or Paste a Policy dialog box.
- Copy and paste the JSON text into your own code editor to edit.
- After you modify the text in your code editor, copy and paste the text back into the dialog box.
- Click Save on the dialog box.
- After the dialog box closes, click Save on the JSON editor screen.